On 3rd May 1845, seventeen gentlemen attended a meeting and agreed to form the Panmure Golf Club. It is interesting to note that the Constitution agreed to at the first meeting differs little from the one that pertains today.
On 6th June 1845, it was reported that Allan Robertson and Alexander Pirie came from St Andrews, examined and laid out the Links in 9 holes, and declared that in their opinion, with little trouble and expense, the Monifieth Links were well adapted for the game of golf. The fee for their services was 30 shillings. The course was extended to 10 holes, with a total length of 3131 yards, in 1851, but the layout proved unpopular and the course was put back to 9 holes in 1871. This was later extended to 18 holes to form the Medal course opened in 1880.
The first clubhouse was erected by the Railway Company, adjacent to the new station that was being built at Monifieth. However due to increased membership this proved too small and, after almost moving permanently to Carnoustie, a new clubhouse was built in 1871. This is today used by the Ladies Panmure Golf Club, Monifieth.
By 1893, there were a number of clubs all playing on Monifieth Golf Course, and due to the congestion it was agreed to look elsewhere and in 1899 the Club moved to its present site at Barry.
Colonel J Lindsay Henderson (Secretary, 1923 – 1947), described the land which is now occupied by holes 4 to 15 as ‘of the most unpromising looking ground from a greenkeeper’s point of view consisting of large hummocks and deep ravines with marshy looking bottoms, and covered with the coarsest of bent grass, whins and rushes; but to the Golf Architect giving great promise of many sporting holes and shots’.
The course has been modified and lengthened over the years, several of the holes according to suggestions proposed by James Braid in 1922. The last major change was to re-site the 14th green (from what is now used as a winter tee for the 15th), producing a far more interesting and challenging hole.
Much of the above text has been taken from ‘Panmure Golf Club 1845-1995’, written as part of the Sesquicentennial celebrations by WAS Dryden, a long time member and past Captain of the Club
The Coat of Arms of Guarin Le Jeune de Maule, was incorporated into the Panmure Family Crest. The Escallop was adopted by Panmure Golf Club with the gracious permission of the Earl of Dalhousie.
We are often asked by Members, Guests and Visitors alike why our Club uses a scallop shell as its emblem.
Maule is the family name of the Lords and Earls of Panmure. There are strong associations between the name and Angus with, for example, street names in Monifieth and Carnoustie. Carnoustie is twinned with the town of Maule.
Guarin Le Jeune de Maule came from France with the Normans and indeed may have fought at the Battle of Hastings (1066). His son Robert de Maule accompanied David I to Scotland when he succeeded to the throne in 1124. Sir Thomas Maule (1521 – 1600) was Ambassador to France and fought at the Battles of Hadden Rigg (1542) and Pinkie (1547). Patrick Maule (1585 – 1661) was a courtier to King James VI and Charles I. He was created Earl of Panmure and Lord Maule of Brechin and Navar in 1646 and was granted lands stretching from Fettercairn to the Tay Estuary, including all the land now taken up by Golf Courses.
James Maule, the 4th Earl (1658 – 1723), was a Jacobite who fought at Sheriffmuir, fled to the continent and thus lost the family estates. His nephew, General William Maule (1700-82) returned, became a loyal soldier, bought back the estates and recovered the Earldom. However, dying without children his estates were eventually divided between a cousin George Ramsay, the 8th Earl of Dalhousie (d.1787) and George’s second son, William. In 1782, William assumed the name Maule and was created Baron Panmure of Brechin and Navar, the 1st Lord Panmure.
Some local Gentlemen banded together and leased land from him to create a Golf Course at Monifieth. They named their Club after him. His son, Fox Maule, succeeded his father in 1852. Following the death of Fox’s second cousin, the statesman John Ramsay (1812-60), he became the 11th Earl of Dalhousie and adopted the name Maule Ramsay (1861). Fox Maule Ramsay died childless and the Barony of Panmure became extinct. Panmure Golf Club subsequently purchased land at Barry from Arthur, the 14th Earl of Dalhousie in 1898. He became Captain of the Club in 1907.
Historical information supplied by CJR Philip
As you would expect of one of Scotland’s grand old courses, Panmure has hosted many championships over the years. Some highlights are as follows
* Inaugural Scottish Professional Championship in 1907
* Scottish Amateur Strokeplay Championship 1997 and 2014
* Co host of the Amateur Championship 1992 and 2015
* Open Championship final qualifying in 1931, 1968, 1970, 1975, 1990, 1999 and 2007
* British Senior Open final qualifying 2010 and 2016
* Ladies British Open qualifying 2011
* Girls Home International Team Championship 2008
* British Senior Amateur Championship 1977 and 1986
* R&A Girls Amateur Championship 2019
* Open Championship regional qualifying in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019